Costa Lens Technology
Costa Del Mar, Spanish for “Coast of the Sea”, is an American brand which was founded in 1983 by Ray Ferguson. As the name implies, Costa sunglasses and Costa prescription sunglasses are specifically designed for the increased enjoyment of water-based activities, sports and adventures such as fishing or boating. Costa is world-renowned for its superior lens technologies which provide comfort and UV protection, allowing wearers to get the most out of their day on the water without being disturbed by reflective glare.
Costa mirror lenses are among the most scratch-resistant on the market as they are made with multilayered thin-film coating through a high-tech beam ion deposition process.
Costa mirror lenses are available in different colours including Blue, Green, Sunrise Silver, Copper Silver and Gray Silver.
Costa Lens colours
The Costa collection offers a range of 7 lens colours and each one is best suited to different light conditions from low-light to extremely bright light conditions.
- Blue Mirror is most suitable for extremely bright light conditions when the glare is blinding such as in open water and offshore. Blue mirror lenses have a Gray Base and just 10% light transmission which helps to reduce glare from the water when you are boating or fishing in deep water, especially when the sun is very bright.
- For fishing inshore or on flats waters, Costa Green Mirror lenses are an ideal choice as they improve vision and contrast with their Copper Base and 10% light transmission.
- For those who need lenses for everyday activities on both water and land, the Gray Silver Mirror lenses with Gray Base and 10% light transmission are ideal. The Cost Gray silver mirror can reduce water glare and provide complete comfort.
- This lens colour is well-suited for sight fishing, everyday activities, cloudy days and all other environments or situations with varying light. Costa Copper Silver Mirror has neutral contrast, copper base and 12% light transmission.
- The colour is a perfect choice for everyday activities on both water and land with 12% light transmission.
- Copper is made for sight fishing, driving and everyday activities. Copper lenses increase the warm tone and contrast to make things pop. It helps to reduce glare, to increase comfort and to reduce strain on the eye.
- This lens colour is a perfect choice for low-light conditions such as sunrise and sunset. Costa Sunrise Silver Mirror heightens contrast and increases performance with 25% light transmission. However, these lenses are not suitable for driving.
Costa polarized 580® Lenses
For any activities on the water and outdoors, eliminating reflective glare is key to reduce eye strain and ensure eye comfort. As a result, Costa sunglasses are 100% polarized.
By applying its lens technology, Costa polarized sunglasses goes beyond polarization with its collection of 580® Lenses which:
Costa offers two types of 580® lenses:
Both of the lenses are scratch-resistant thanks to the C-Wall coating technology.
C-Wall Coating Technology
With C-Wall coating technology, durable components are fused into the Costa lenses during their production and create a molecular bond. Therefore, instead of applying a separate layer, the durable components are chemically bound into the lenses creating one single layer. This process means that the surface of the lens is completely covered so that contaminants cannot make their way through any part of the lens.
Costa lenses offer a contact angle of 116 degrees, far greater than the industry standard of 105-112 degrees. This high contact angle makes any water droplets that fall on the surface of the lens much rounder, making it easier for them to roll off the lens instead of flattening and spreading out which could obscure your vision. As a result, Costa lenses are excellent at repelling water, sweat and other liquids as they can be easily wiped off from the surface of the lens. Furthermore, C-Wall also creates a smudge-free barrier for easier cleaning, preventing oil, dirt and other chemicals from sticking to the surface of the lens.
Thanks to its C-Wall coating, Costa lenses have a superior scratch-resistance with a 7+ rating in the Bayer Abrasion test, greater than the industry average of 3-5. This ensures that all Costa lenses offer incredible durability.
Shop for Costa Del Mar sunglasses today at SmartBuyGlasses where there are several options to choose from in both our Costa women’s sunglasses and men’s Costa sunglasses collections. As well as having the option to buy the latest collections, you can also find end of season styles at discounted prices in our Costa sunglasses sale selection. Plus, you can buy Costa sunglasses online safe in the knowledge that we provide a 24-month warranty on all sunglasses which covers both the frames and lenses. In addition to this, if you want to change your mind about your new purchase, you can easily do so with our 100-day return policy.